In CoPrA 2.2, the Printer Profiling module additionally contains the possibility of directly measuring test charts for profile creation, rather than measuring and saving them exclusively via external measuring software and then importing them into CoPrA. This was made possible by creating a link to the UPPCT software of the Swiss Center of Competence for Media and Printing Technology Ugra. The UPPCT software runs under Windows and Mac OSX operating systems, permitting the measurement and analysis of proofs and prints and, starting with the latest Version 1.5, also the measurement of wedges and test charts of ColorLogic products. The first ColorLogic products to use this capability are CoPrA 2.2, DocBees-Reprofiler 1.6 and ColorAnt 1.2.
What to do:
- Connect your measuring instrument to your computer via a USB connection.
- Select the Measure radio button in CoPrA, Reprofiler or ColorAnt and/or click on the Start measurement button.
- The UPPCT software starts. The next steps are performed entirely in UPPCT.
- Select the Others radio button under the Wedge Types heading on the Measure tab and then, in the dropdown menu, the reference file for the test chart that you have in printed form and want to measure.
Note: The selected test chart layout is grayed out in the bottom part of the window. While test wedges, such as the media wedges, fit completely in the window, only the first few lines of larger charts for profiling are displayed. However, you can move in the test chart layout by scrolling.
- Then go to the dropdown menu under the Measurement Instrument heading and select the measuring instrument you have connected by USB, click on Connect and follow the instructions, e.g. for white calibration, which can differ from one measuring instrument to the next.
Note: On some measuring instruments, such as the two Konica-Minolta FD-5/-7 devices or the Barbieri SpectroPad, you have the choice of switching the measuring mode to M1, M0 or M2. Choose the parameters that suit your task. Measuring instruments such as the X-Rite i1Pro measure with M0 only.
- The dropdown menu below the measuring instrument contains measuring options for selecting how you want to measure the test chart with a hand-held measuring instrument, such as the i1Pro or the FD-5/-7. We recommend the Patches – Line by line option, since it is much faster than measuring single patches.
- Depending on the measuring options, the color patch or the lines you need to measure are highlighted in the bottom area of the measuring window.
- If you now perform measurement, the color patches previously grayed out are replaced by the measurement values, and the next line is highlighted for measuring. Repeat this procedure until you have completed the measurements.
Note: You can jump to any line and measure it by clicking on it at any time during the measuring procedure. Make sure that you measure the correct line, since UPPCT performs a check for dubious measurement values. If errors or warnings occur while measuring, they are indicated by warning signals and texts. In this case, check the measurement of the line, repeat the measurement, or continue to measure further lines.
- Once you have finished measuring, a dialog appears, indicating that measurement is complete and the measurement data can be transmitted to CoPrA by clicking on the Transmit button. If you click on the Transmit button, UPPCT closes and the measurements are available for profile creation directly in CoPrA, Reprofiler or ColorAnt.
Note: Your measurement file is automatically saved in the CoPrA or DocBees-Reprofiler sub-folder of your user folder, indicating the name of the test chart, as well as the current date and time. You can subsequently move the measurement file from there to the CoPrA or Reprofiler measuring window again by Drag&Drop.